David has been Company Principal of Hetherington Sydney since April 2016, and Company Principal of Hetherington Perth since April 2019.
David graduated from the University of Wollongong with a Bachelor of Commerce (Finance Major), and Bachelor of Laws in 2008, where he studied Environmental Law and Native Title Law. David then went on to complete his Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice in 2009 and was admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales in December 2009.
Prior to joining Hetherington, David worked in a general practice private law firm as a Legal Clerk and Graduate Solicitor, dealing with a wide variety of matters and clientele. David also worked in business management and NSW Parliament.
Experience and Expertise
During David’s time at Hetherington, David has worked on a extensive range of matters for small to large exploration and mining companies within all jurisdictions of Australia and beyond: including the Pacific Region, and North and South America.
As tenure is the most critical asset of any exploration and mining company, David specialises in providing expert advice in relation to the compliance, regulation and management of exploration and mining tenure.
David has a proven track record and vast experience in land access arrangements and landholder arbitration, whilst also having extensive knowledge of Native Title, the Right to Negotiate process, Aboriginal Land Council Land, and Aboriginal Sites, Places and Objects.
David specialises in providing VALMIN Code 2015 compliant Independent Tenement Reports used for due diligence purposes for acquiring or earning into exploration and mining assets. These reports are used in the private sector for commercial due diligence, and as required for public stock exchange prospectus listings, having previously completed Independent Tenement Reports for the Australian, Canadian and Singapore Stock Exchanges.
More recently, David has worked on introducing, facilitating and drafting joint venture agreements between various exploration and mining companies.
Industry Addresses and Associations
David insight and expertise are sought after by various stakeholders across the industry, and David has spoken at:
- 2017, 2018 and 2019 NSW Minerals Council Exploration Forum;
- 2018 Association of Mining and Exploration Companies (AMEC) National Convention in Perth; and
- The 2019 AMEC NSW Deputy Premier Boardroom Lunch
David has also given presentations on industry to Chinese government and industry delegations.
Some of David’s mining industry professional associations include:
- NSW Minerals Council Associate Member, Exploration Committee Member and Sponsor.
- Association of Mining and Exploration Companies (AMEC) Associate Member, Deputy chair of the NSW Advisory Committee, and Sponsor.
- Australian Mining and Petroleum Law Association (AMPLA) Corporate Member.
- New South Wales, South Australian, and Northern Territory Government Department Industry Committees.
- Member Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM).
- Austmine Corporate Member.
David is proud to contribute to industry by sponsoring:
- Sydney Mining Club.
- New South Wales Minerals Council Exploration Forum.
- New South Wales Minerals Council Health, Safety, Environment and Community (HSEC) Conference.
- 2019 AMEC NSW Deputy Premier Boardroom Lunch.
- 2019 NSW Mines and Wines Conference.